Sunday, March 3, 2013

Second Week Recap

It has been one week since I last posted on this blog. 

Don't get me wrong, working at the Legislative Assembly is really hard and tiring work. On Friday evening I was asleep by 9:30, which is quite early for me.
I decided that as I haven't gotten a chance to update all this week, I will recap my second week in one post.

Time in the chamber this week was really fun. The rest of the Pages and I are getting into the swing of things. In fact, on Thursday we got a 'perfect 10' on our procession lines (the formation in which we travel to and from the chamber and around the building), and were awarded with 'zippies' (those reels of string that keep our building passes at our waists, instead of on a lanyard.). There was alot of excitement in the chamber, between votes and debates, as well as the always-busy question period. Between our long hours in the House, we got to meet several important people from the Legislative Assembly of Ontario:
On Tuesday, after question period the Pages posed for a photo with Speaker Levac before heading up to a special lunch with him. The food was delicious; Speaker Levac was funny and charming, cracking jokes that made the entire group laugh. We all had lots of fun that day, learning more about Speaker Levac's past and his job at the Legislature.
The following day, we got to meet yet another person from the Legislature; some might consider him one of them most important. The Honourable David C. Onley, the Lieutenant Governor of Ontario and the Representative of her Majesty the Queen made time out of his busy schedule to meet with the SP13-1 Pages. His Honour was very friendly, and heartwarmingly replied to all of our questions about his career as Queen Elizabeth's representative.
But the introduction to Legislative peoples wasn't over; On Friday afternoon we got to spend a lot of time with Mr. Trevor Day, one of the Table Clerks in the Chamber. We played a game of Page Jeopardy, with buzzers and all! Of the four teams that played, my team came in third with 100 points. At the end of the day, we were all happy; Mr. Day proved to be an amazing game show host and a great person to speak with. We didn't get much of a chance to speak about Mr. Day's job in the Legislature, but our time with him was well spent.
This week was also special for another reason; as this group of Pages is serving for three weeks, we got to go on a trip outside of the Legislative Precinct this week! By mutual consent, we chose to walk down to Nathan Phillips Square, in front of City Hall to go skating in the outdoor rink there. Many of the Pages are very skilled skaters, between hockey players and figure skaters. I loved the experience, bonding with all these kids that are so similar, yet so different to me. I love hanging out with all the Pages everyday, and I really hope that we manage to keep in touch after the program ends.

Overall, I had quite a busy and fun-filled week. I am hoping to be able to update more frequently next week. I will have plenty to write about, too! Next week we will be having lunch with Clerk Deller, the 'Head' Clerk in the Chamber, as well as a meeting with Ms. Wynne, the new Premier of Ontario.

I can't believe it's gonna be my last week at the Legislature; I am having the time of my life and as much as I miss my school friends, don't really want it to end.

No comments:

Post a Comment